Friday, July 4, 2008

I am not quite awake, yet.

I am very groggy today. It shouldn't be from lack of sleep, I got like eight hours. I hope today will be nice.
As I celebrate our Independence today I cant help think of the freedom we have in the Lord.

We are truly free in Him, wither we are a believer or not. We are free to choose to follow Him or not. To obey His commandments or to go other ways. The Bible says in John 14 verse 15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments." As a christian, I love Him and WANT to keep them. I am not always successful, but I am given a choice. Just as a man and woman who love each other want to please and make the other happy, and do things because they love one another. Now, please. The love of the Lord for us is far more, and much more complex than a man and a woman, but that is the easiest way for me think about it. We have freedom in this. He wants us to choose to serve Him.

I have a subscription to netflix and I get those Bible movies that are the adventures of the old testament. I have the story of Moses right now. I am not too happy with all of the film, as somethings are not biblical, but to add drama, but there is enough for me to enjoy the bible being acted out. Something that I cant shake, which I don't mind holding on to, is the fact that the Israelites kept acting like slaves. They didn't know any better. They complained and moaned, and did not trust God. The Lord wanted to teach them that they were indeed free from Egypt and could trust Him to take care of them, instead of Pharaoh. They couldn't understand the concept that they were free to choose the Lord. They made a false idol and worshiped it while Moses was receiving the ten commandments. They complained there was nothing to eat but manna. God provided food daily! They were guided by a pillar of cloud by day, and a pillar of fire by night. Their feet never swelled, and their shoes never wore out. They were led through the sea, and STILL had no faith in the Lord to take care of them. They wanted to murder Moses on many occasions.

I think to myself, what was wrong with these people. They had PROOF! Proof of the Lords work. PHYSICAL TOUCHABLE PROOF!! They still didn't believe. They didn't accept the freedom the Lord offered. Of course there were exceptions, like Joshua and a couple others, but mostly they were moaning and complaining.

I would like to think I am not like them, but human nature is what it is, and I am like the Israelites. I moan and complain about things and am not grateful. I have proof the Lord is real and working, and I still am ungrateful. I am ashamed before you, dear reader, that I am so like the Israelites.

But the Lord is merciful, and I know I can go to Him. He has provided a way for my freedom, through Jesus. I have the power of prayer and the Bible says that "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2ND Chronicles 7:14. My sin is forgiven. I am truly free. I will hear from heaven. Some versions even say I will give you heaven.

My friend, turn from your wicked ways, and seek His face. He has promised to forgive and to save us. The bible says not one of us will get to God through anyone but Jesus. "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" John 14:6 Not by any other way. We are to have faith and be obedient to the Lord. We are commanded to in the Old Testament and provided a way in the new. The bible says those who don't are going to be turned aside. Jesus says "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matthew 7:21. His grace is sufficient for all. He paid our price of sin and took the punishment. We need to accept, and have faith, and turn from our sin. Follow Jesus, and truly we will be free.

No comments: